The DSDI Scholarship Award is a merit-based scholarship for DSDI members who are enrolled as full-time students for the entire academic year in an approved post-secondary educational institution. Applicants must be an accepted member of the Society no later than the fall before the next year’s scholarship application process opens. Members who are turning 18 must have completed their Senior paperwork by Spring prior to the academic award year. You must be either a Life Member or your dues must be current June 30 2017 or you will not be considered for the award. Not all students who apply will be awarded a scholarship and it should not be assumed that you will receive a scholarship by merely applying. This is a competitive scholarship and a total of 56 scholarships were awarded for the 2016-2017 academic year.
Scholarship recipients will be announced on July 4 2017 at the Annual Congress in Philadelphia. All efforts are made to have scholarship funds disbursed to the recipients’ schools by mid to late August.
Please read all instructions before beginning the Application process. Failure to follow all instructions will cause your application to be disqualified. Applications submitted via the online system are the only applications which will be considered.
Before you begin, you will need your DSDI member number, which can be found on your membership certificate. Don’t know your member number? Contact the Registrar-General. Note that the Registrar-General leads a fairly active life and may not be able to provide rapid turnaround for your request.
Your entire online and paperless application will be completed in steps. When you first follow the website link, you will be asked to register with an email address and a password. You are responsible for keeping track of these. Write these down in a safe place. You will need this information to monitor the progress of your application materials. You are strongly advised to use a non-academic email that you check on a regular basis. This is the only way the committee will communicate with you and we are not responsible to track down a student who has changed their email address or fails to check the address provided. Please use a unique email for each student; family members should not use the same email address.
Regardless of your status as a first time applicant, previous applicant, or scholarship recipient, you must complete the online application form and submit the following electronically:
- A one to two page statement which will be in response to the essay prompt that will be found in the application. This is approximately 500 words.
- A one to two page resume reflecting your academics, work history, honors and awards, and extra-curricular activities.
- Two letters of recommendation (one scholastic recommendation; the second one can be a scholastic or non-scholastic recommendation); submitted via the online system directly from the writer of the recommendation. Instructions will be provided when you are completing the application. You will need your recommenders’ email addresses.
- An academic transcript(s) from the last educational institution attended. High school seniors must include the fall semester of your senior year, other first time applicants, the last full academic term transcript. We will only accept transcripts sent directly from the schools.
You have several options for transcripts:
- Have the school send it electronically to the following email: email@example.com.
- The school can print a hard copy, do a color scan at 600 dps and send it directly to the Scholarship Chairman via an email attachment. (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Send a hard copy directly to the following address:
DSDI Scholarship Chairman
4103 Forrest Road
Mount Joy PA 17552
Transcripts must be postmarked or sent electronically no later than the 17th day of March 2017.
THE APPLICATION AND ALL REQUIREMENTS MUST BE FILED ONLINE NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, MARCH 17 2017.
The scholarship committee will not accept any other documents by facsimile or email. All transcripts must come directly from your school and all recommendations must come directly from the person writing them through the online system. Also note that we expect returning applicants to update their material and not use verbatim the same resume or essay that was used in a previous year; reuse of previous material will disqualify you from consideration.
It is your responsibility, not your parents, nor that of the individuals writing recommendations on your behalf, to have all application requirements completed and submitted by March 17, 2017. The online system affords you the ability to monitor the progress of your documents, and we strongly urge that you monitor it until you are satisfied that all materials are successfully submitted.
Should you be selected to receive one of the DSDI scholarships, you will be notified of the award via the email you have provided on the application. You will be provided with detailed response instructions in that email. Failure to abide by any deadlines will forfeit your scholarship award. Before your award can be sent to the academic institution of your choice, you must have confirmed where you are enrolled and whether or not you are a full-time student, the address of your Financial Aid Office, and your student identification number. You will be required to submit documentation from the school that you are enrolled full-time for the fall semester. Part time students and those who are enrolled for only a portion of the full 2017-2018 academic year are NOT eligible to receive scholarships funds.
We are now accepting scholarship applications for the 2017-2018 academic year. If you applied last year, you may use your same user name and password. Please go to the following website to complete your application:
If you have questions, you are welcome to email me.
D. Jill Haimes
DSDI Scholarship Chairman